Book A Hotel
EXPLORE THE TOP 10
Explore some of the Top 10's best travel ideasLearn More
LUXURIOUS TOP 10
Luxury Awaits Along the Top Ten Drives of the Northern RockiesLearn More
FAMILY TRAVEL IN THE NORTHERN ROCKIES
Create Family Memories in the Northern RockiesLearn More
ESCAPE FROM SEATTLE
Escape the bustle and traffic to the Northern RockiesLearn More
Check Out Our Connecting Historic Trails...Learn More
Join The Club
Check Out Our Green Travel Resources
The Top 10 Scenic Drives in the Northern Rockies connects the most spectacular National Scenic Byways, parks , recreation areas , and National Historic Trails in five U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. Discover a paradise of natural wonders, captivating wildlife , and warm, friendly people.
To protect this vibrant region, the suppliers listed on this website are promoting Geotourism, which is defined as “Tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place – its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage and well-being of its residents.” Our supplier commitments to sustainable operations and the principles of Geotourism are reflected in the checklists that can be viewed in these attachments:
Portland, Oregon - September 2010
Enjoy an informative and resource-packed review of the 2010 Ecotourism Conference
For additional information about sustainability and "green" tourism, please visit the following links:
- National Geographic Center for Sustainable Destinations – www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/sustainable/about_geotourism.html – Working to protect the world’s distinctive places through wisely managed tourism and enlightened stewardship.
- Leave No Trace – www.lnt.org – A national and international program designed to assist outdoor enthusiasts with their decisions about how to reduce their impacts on the environment.
- U.S. Travel Association: Travel Green – http://travelgreen.org – Highlighting America’s efforts to promote sustainable tourism.
- Green Hotels – http://greenhotels.com/pressrel.php – A listing of hoteliers interested in protecting the environment.
- Green Lodging News – http://www.greenlodgingnews.com – The lodging industry’s leading environmental news source.
- Stay at Green Properties, Ratings & Reviews – http://www.istaygreen.org – Helping travelers find green-friendly lodging.
- Green Restaurant™ 4.0 Standards – http://www.dinegreen.com – Providing information about environmentally friendly restaurants.
- Green Seal – http://www.greenseal.org – Your source for science-based, environmental-based certification standards.
- Glacier National Park - Green Business Program – https://www.glaciercentennial.org/greenbusiness.html – Empowering local businesses to reduce their environmental impact, resulting in a more efficient and sustainable means of doing business.
- Yellowstone Business Partnership – http://www.yellowstonebusiness.org – Uniting businesses dedicated to preserving a healthy environment and shaping a prosperous and sustainable future for communities in the Yellowstone-Teton region.
- Sustainable Travel International – http://www.sustainabletravel.com – Dedicated to providing education and outreach services that help travelers, travel providers, and related organizations support environmental conservation and protect cultural heritage while promoting cross-cultural understanding and economic development.
- Global Sustainable Tourism – http://www.sustainabletourismcriteria.org – A coalition of over 40 organizations working together to foster increased understanding of sustainable tourism practices and the adoption of universal sustainable tourism principles.
- Audobon Green Leaf™ Eco-Rating Program – http://greenleaf.auduboninternational.org – Provides the assurance that audited lodging facilities have met environmental best practice standards that are required for a rating of one to five “Green Leafs” .
- Tested Green – https://www.testedgreen.org/register.php – Allowing you to earn Green Certification for your business.
- Natural Step – http://www.naturalstep.org/en – A non-profit that helps communities and businesses better understand and integrate environmental, social, and economic considerations.
- World Tourism Organization Global Code of Ethics for Tourism – http://www.world-tourism.org/code_ethics/eng/global.htm – A set of principles designed to guide governments, local communities, the tourism industry, and visitors in sustainable tourism development.
- International Council on Monuments and Sites Principles of the Cultural Tourism Charter – http://www.international.icomos.org/about.htm – An association of professionals that currently brings together approximately 9,500 members throughout the world.
A Comprehensive Guide To Learning About Green Tourism
Reach extraordinary new heights of green travel. Use the Top 10 Scenic Drives in the Northern Rockies to plan truly unforgettable Rocky Mountain vacations.