Book A Hotel
EXPLORE THE TOP 10
Explore some of the Top 10's best travel ideasLearn More
LUXURIOUS TOP 10
Luxury Awaits Along the Top Ten Drives of the Northern RockiesLearn More
FAMILY TRAVEL IN THE NORTHERN ROCKIES
Create Family Memories in the Northern RockiesLearn More
ESCAPE FROM SEATTLE
Escape the bustle and traffic to the Northern RockiesLearn More
Check Out Our Connecting Historic Trails...Learn More
Join The Club
Skiing & Snowboarding
Conquer The US And Canadian Rocky Mountain Ski Slopes
Crisp powder, ice-blue skies, seemingly endless slopes. As birds fly south for the winter and furry creatures hibernate, you can visit the Northern Rockies to play in our freshly blanketed playgrounds. Let us help you design a Rocky Mountains ski vacation that will make a ski bum out of the most type-A personality. Spend a day at Whistler … one of the top four-season resorts in North America and the site of the alpine and Nordic venues for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. Hit the slopes at Sun Valley Resort, America’s first ski resort. Travel to Big Sky Resort and Moonlight Basin, known as the “Biggest Skiing in America”. Whether you’re a novice or expert, a Rocky Mountain skiing getaway is an unparalleled experience.
- Waterton Lakes National Park – Enjoy excellent opportunities for wilderness camping, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ski tours, and ice climbing. www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/Waterton/index_e.asp
- Banff National Park -- Cross-country skiing is a wonderful way to enjoy the park in winter. Draped in snow and ice, the Rockies form a dramatic backdrop to the pleasures of traveling over crisp snow. The ski season on valley bottom trails generally extends from December to March. www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_E.asp
- Jasper National Park – The park offers a wide choice of trails for cross country skiing, downhill skiing, and snowboarding. www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/index_e.asp
- Kootenay Region – Heli & Cat skiing were both born in the Kootenay Rockies region. And there are more ski-touring opportunities than anywhere else in the world. Revelstoke Resort has the longest lift-serviced terrain in North America and is the only resort in the world to offer lift, cat, heli & backcountry ski options from the village base. Whitewater Ski Resort in Nelson is renowned for epic snowfalls while Kicking Horse Mountain Resort in Golden is known for champagne powder. www.PowderHighway.com
Idaho is home to some of the West's driest powder. Try our long, perfectly groomed runs and our "died-and-gone-to-heaven" back country skiing.
- Panhandle National Forests – The Idaho Panhandle National Forests comprise about 2.5 million acres of public lands spanning northern Idaho, extending into eastern Washington and western Montana. Visit www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/rec/activities/trails/index.html for more information.
- Sun Valley Resort – America’s original ski resort, founded in 1936. Boasting two lovely, snow-capped mountains and two quaint walking villages. www.sunvalley.com
- Nez Perce National Forest – 2.2 million acres of beautiful and diverse land. From the dry, rugged canyons of the Salmon River to the moist cedar forests of the Selway drainage, the forest offers something for everyone. Experience hundreds of miles of groomed trails and virgin powder Nordic skiing and snowshoeing.fs.usda.gov/nezperce
- Clearwater National Forest – Covers 1.8 million acres from the jagged peaks of the Bitterroot Mountains in the east to the river canyons and the rolling hills of the Palouse Prairie in the west. Experience hundreds of miles of groomed trails and virgin powder for Nordic skiing and snowshoeing. www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/
- Silver Mountain Ski Resort – Thousands of acres of winter fun in Kellogg, Idaho just off I-90, 70 miles east of Spokane and 30 miles east of Coeur d'Alene. www.silvermt.com/
- Grand Targhee Resort – Cradled in the western slope of the Teton Mountains, two mountain peaks with over 2,500 acres of skiable terrain. Famous for consistently superb snow conditions with over 500 inches annually. www.grandtarghee.com/
- Schweitzer Mountain – Stand at the top of this magnificent mountain and stare at three mountain ranges, Canada and three states. Enjoy a variety of terrain from smooth corduroy groomers to wide open bowls and gladed runs. www.schweitzer.com/
- Snowhaven Ski Area - City-owned ski area with an exciting Tubing Hill, snowboarding & skiing, and just around the corner is some of the best cross country skiing in Idaho. www.grangeville.us/snowhaven-main-page.html
- Sawtooth National Recreation Area : Nestled in the heart of the Sawtooth National Recreation Area Stanley offers easy access to an amazing variety of terrain accommodating both beginner and advanced back country skiers. A variety of lodging and restaurants make Stanley the perfect home base to explore this amazing area. www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/recreation
Home to 16 ski areas offering local hill thrills to world-class resorts, and kilometers of trails and millions of forested acres to explore.
- Glacier National Park – Called “North America’s Crown Jewel” for its beauty and majesty. In the summer, explore more than 700 miles of maintained trails, sparkling lakes, , and deep forests. In the winter, explore the quite side of Glacier by cross-country skis and snowshoes and see its jewels in winter white.. www.nps.gov/glac/
- Yellowstone National Park -- Home to some of the world’s most diverse cross country skiing and snowshoeing trails, where wildlife and water – both frozen and Faithful – combine for a winter wonderland experience. www.nps.gov/yell/
- Beartooth Recreational Trails Association: Cross Country Skiing - Enjoy skiing and snowshoeing the well groomed trails at Red Lodge Nordic Center, at the foot of the spectacular Beartooth Mountains in south central Montana .www.beartoothtrails.org
- Big Sky Resort -- Big Sky offers instant access some of the most diverse skiing and snowboarding and breathtaking vistas in the lower 48. Float down a 2,000 vertical foot, powder-filled bowl beneath Lone Peak. Bob and weave through the Bavarian Forest. Or ride the Lone Peak Tram for a bird's eye view of untamed wilderness. www.bigskyresort.com
- Bridger Bowl – Legendary skiing offering world-class skiing at small-town rates. Experience “Cold Smoke” powder and natural scenic beauty at this nonprofit community ski area. www.bridgerbowl.com
- Izaak Walton Inn – Historic lodging bordering Glacier National Park, with nordic trails, guides and rentals available during the day and unique lodging at night. Amtrak stops here too! www.izaakwaltoninn.com
- Lost Trail Powder Mountain – Straddling the Montana / Idaho border, enjoy reliable snowfall and consistently good conditions in the breathtaking Bitterroot Mountains www.losttrail.com/
- Moonlight Basin – Part of the “Biggest Skiing in America”, with Lone Peak as its backdrop , enjoy, long, groomed runs, open bowls and challenging chutes.www.moonlightbasin.com/site/index.html
- Red Lodge Mountain Resort – Offering an un-crowded, untamed ski experience. Enjoy premier skiing, where the friendly locals and historic town make for a genuine ski experience without the attitude or price. www.redlodgemountain.com/
- Red Lodge Nordic Center - Great for families who want to experience the skinny side of winter, with a touch of history and charm too. www.beartoothtrails.org/nordic.html
- Showdown Montana – Central Montana skiing for families and friends for over 70 years. www.showdownmontana.com
- Turner Mountain – Turner is Steep, Deep and Cheap! How many ski hills can be rented for personal use? You have to visit Montana's most unique mountain! www.skiturner.com
- Whitefish Mountain Resort – Since 1947, the Big Mountain has been a favorite destination for good times, great people and deep snow. You can ride the rails to this namesake town– www.skiwhitefish.com/
- Hells Canyon All-American Road – This byway is an outdoor enthusiast's playground. In winter, enjoy downhill or cross-country skiing, or ride a snow mobile on a section of the byway that closes to automobiles for winter. Your choices are limitless!
- Ski Anthony Lakes – Discover clear skies, dry powder, and 1,100 acres of skiing. (541) 856-3277; www.AnthonyLakes.com
- Sprout Springs – Set in the Blue Mountains, Sprout Springs provides a relaxed atmosphere featuring 250 acres of dry powder snow. (541) 566-0320; www.SkiSproutSprings.com
- Colville National Forest – Spanning 1.1 million acres in northeastern Washington and includes the Kettle River, Selkirk mountain ranges, and the upper reaches of the Columbia River. The forest boasts exciting wildlife such as the grizzly and black bears, cougars, bald eagles, and the last remaining herd of caribou in the U.S. Visit www.fs.fed.us/r6/colville/recreation/trails/trails.shtml for more information.
- Sleeping Giant Ski Resort – A unique terrain park, twice the vertical from the old days, challenging tree skiing & boarding, a carpet for those just starting out and all of this just 3 miles from Yellowstone National Park. www.skisg.com
- Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park – Yellowstone is home to Big Sky Resort and Moonlight Basin, known as the “Biggest Skiing in America”, and home some of the world’s most diverse skiing and snowboarding. Grand Teton offers a challenging yet beautiful variety of cross country skiing trails.
- The Wapiti Valley – Wapiti is an Indian word for elk. Home to 12 guest and dude ranches. Camping, hiking, horseback riding, and winter cross country skiing are popular. Elk, deer, Bighorn sheep, moose, and even bison roam the valley year-round. www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/Wapiti-Valley/31498
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort – The state’s most well-known ski area. Tops the chart with a whopping 4,139 vertical feet, the greatest continuous rise in the U.S. www.jacksonhole.com
- White Pine Ski Area -- A small, family friendly alternative just outside Pinedale, offering downhill and cross-country trails, rentals, and lessons. www.whitepineski.com
Design Your Ideal Rocky Mountains Skiing Vacation
Reach extraordinary new heights of travel. Use the Top 10 Scenic Drives in the Northern Rockies to experience truly unforgettable Rocky Mountains ski and snowboarding locations.